If you have been searching for a lawyer, you have likely seen firms and attorneys advertising using logos for awards such as “Super Lawyers,” “Rising Stars” and “Best Lawyers.” In fact, Locks Law Firm has included those on their website and in various pieces over the years – and through today. We are very proud of our attorneys and our firm for the hard work that is done on a daily basis representing clients who have been injured due to the fault of others. And beyond the verdicts and settlements we secure for our clients, being recognized for that hard work and commitment is another satisfying piece of the outcome. In fact, many of these awards are based upon peer reviews and who doesn’t appreciate it when your peer is, in essence, saying you’re doing a great job?
But there are problems with these awards as well. Some lawyers and firms are using these designations to imply – or even overtly state – that they are THE best lawyer, for example. The marketing can be misleading for consumers trying to select the appropriate lawyer for their case. In fact, in some cases it has gotten so out of hand, that state bar associations and other legal authorities are warning lawyers and firms that the advertising must simply state that the person or firm was selected to the list and is not, in fact an attribute of the lawyer. If a law firm or lawyer has a logo identifying themselves as Super or Best, look into the criteria for that selection and understand what it really means. If you are searching for a lawyer, this can be a good start, but then dig a little deeper.
What should you look for in an attorney? How do you find the right one for your needs?
- Ask another attorney – whether you already have one but need a specialist or you have a friend who is a lawyer, they likely can refer you to someone
- Ask a friend – if you’ve been injured in a car accident and need representation, ask someone you know who may have also had the same experience
- Bar Associations – The American Bar Association can give specific information about lawyers, including verification of their licenses
- Check out the web – your best bet is to find an independent referral website
- Ask questions – once you have narrowed it down, don’t be afraid to ask questions and make sure you are comfortable with the lawyer before you hire them. Make sure the attorney specializes in your type of case. Find out who will handle your case and be your contact person (lawyer or paralegal). How will they communicate with you? How will you be billed and how will your fees be calculated? What expenses will you be responsible for?
Locks Law Firm is proud of its track record – both for awards AND for the outcome of our cases for our clients. If you are searching for an attorney because you have been injured, we invite you to read more about our work, talk to former clients, research our record and come in and talk to us. Each case is unique and we pride ourselves on having a team of lawyers and paralegals working on each case to ensure the best outcome possible. And if we can’t help you? We can help you find someone who can. Locks Law Firm appreciates the selection to the list of Super Lawyers and Best Law Firms, but our goal is to make sure our clients feel the same.