David Douglas Langfitt
David Langfitt has been a partner in the Locks Law Firm since 2010 and has litigated a wide variety of complex cases involving mass tort claims, the federal securities laws, professional liability, merger agreements, pre-packaged bankruptcy plans, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and infringement of patents and copyrights.
Mr. Langfitt is on the Court-appointed Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee and is among the leaders of the ongoing NFL Concussion Litigation in which the Locks Law Firm represents more than 1600 former players against the NFL for latent brain injury. He is also lead counsel in the Artelon Spacer Litigation, a medical device mass tort in Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
At the same time, he serves as nationwide patent litigation counsel to Q.I. Press Controls, an international technology company based in Holland. He represents QI in multiple courts throughout the United States and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark office.
Prior to joining the Locks Law Firm, Mr. Langfitt was a partner at Montgomery, McCracken, Walker & Rhoads LLP in Philadelphia from 1999 to 2010. During that time period, Mr. Langfitt represented Federal Receiver David H. Marion, appointed at the request of SEC to recover, oversee, and distribute to more than one thousand defrauded investors the assets of a Ponzi Scheme operated through Bentley Financial Services, Inc. of Paoli, PA. The Bentley Scheme was the largest Ponzi Scheme in the United States when it was discovered in 2001. Eleven years of experience includes:
- Recovered approximately $360,000,000 for the benefit of defrauded investors, which is approximately ninety-three percent of the investors’ principal.
- Filed and litigated multiple complaints against banks and others for aiding and abetting and conspiring with the Ponzi Scheme.
- Investigated and pursued off-shore assets in Caribbean and South Pacific nations.
- Operated Receivership as business entity that successfully marshaled assets, conducted litigation, distributed recovered assets, and regularly communicated through a public website with more than one thousand defrauded investors regarding claims, distribution, and litigation process.
Mr. Langfitt also has extensive experience litigating in the bankruptcy courts and has represented creditors in In Re: Bondex (U.S. District Court, District of Delaware), In Re: Combustion Engineering (U.S. District Court, District of Delaware), and In Re: Nutraquest (U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey).
Mr. Langfitt also served as lead litigation counsel to Celotex Corporation in (a) 551 wrongful death and personal injury cases brought in connection with 2003 fire at The Station nightclub in West Warwick, Rhode Island; (b) personal injury cases brought in connection with manufacturing plants in multiple states; (c) in negotiations with USEPA regarding environmental regulations, control equipment, and clean air act issues; and (d) contract litigation over the sale of manufacturing plants nationwide.
While an associate at Montgomery McCracken, Mr. Langfitt was Habeas Corpus counsel to a former death row inmate and succeeded in overturning the petitioner’s conviction for first degree murder in Smith v. Horn 120 F.3d 400 (3d Cir. 1997).
- Europeans Paintings Committee, Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Former Chair Philadelphia Mural Arts Program
- Boards of Directors of Episcopal Community Services
- Board of Directors Lankenau Institute for Medical Research.
Admitted to Practice:
- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court of Rhode Island
- Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Supreme Court.
- B.A. University of Pennsylvania in 1979
- M.Sc. The London School of Economics in 1980
- J.D. from New York University School of Law in 1992
Back to top
Contact a Pennsylvania, New York, or New Jersey personal injury lawyer for a case evaluation and consultation.